Adopting 21st Century Curriculum is SEAMEO Priority area no 7 of Education Agenda 2015-2035 that has been agreed by Ministers of Education of Southeast Asian countries and subject to be integrated in their national education framework. In addition, this priority is also become focus of collaboration to enhance regional education development. To conceptualize this mandate, SEAMEO Secretariat has encouraged SEAMEO QITEP in Science, Mathematics and SEAMOLEC to conduct a program to formulate a suitable model of teaching and learning (in Science and Mathematics) which can foster students 21st century skills that is generic to SEA context in the form of Open Distance Learning (ODL) and Open Education Resources (OER).
The 1st phase, the Diagnostic Test which served as base line study, has been successfully conducted in 2015-2016 and was participated by 10 SEAMEO member countries, namely Brunei Darussalam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Timor Leste, Thailand and Vietnam. The test targeted students in grade 5, grade 8 and grade 10. The aim of the test was to determine SEA students’ readiness and cognitive level when the 21st Century Curriculum principles implemented in their teaching and learning process. The results showed that there was irregular trend of students’ achievement among SEAMEO member countries.
In 2017, the SEAMEO Team will proceed to the 2nd phase or The Intervention study which will give basic information to formulate the effective concept of improvement. The Intervention Phase will adopt online modalities which will consist of teacher training, classroom teaching practice, and student test on science and mathematics subjects. The content will be taken from the Common Core Curriculum Regional Learning Standard on Science and Mathematics that was develop by SEAMEO RECSAM which consist topics available in all SEAMEO member countries. STEM approach as learning model will be introduced in the teaching and learning process that apply Higher Order Thinking Skills (HOTS) principles.
Objectives : Participant is expected to gain understanding in 21st century skill and its relation to student’s higher order thinking skill development, apply learning model that is suitable for developing the 21st century skills, and develop relevant assessment.
1. Science Learning towards 21st Century Skills
2. STEM based Learning on Science Education
3. Assesment on 21st Century Skills
4. Model of Classroom Activity on Adopting 21st Century Curriculum
Prof. Dr. Ana Permana
Anna Permanasari is a lecturer of Science Education at Indonesia University of Education. She is a vice dean of Graduate School of Education at Indonesia University of Education also as a head of Graduate Programme of Science Education at Universitas Pakuan. She obtained her master degree in Chemistry in 1992 and obtained her doctorate in Chemical Analytic from Bandung Institute of Technology in 2000. Her expertise is scientific litteracy and STEM Education.
Desti Herawati is a lecturer of Biology Education at the Faculty of Teacher Training and Education of Universitas Pakuan. She has completed a master study in Biology Education at Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia (2015) and a bachelor of biology education at Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia (2011). Her field research studies include thinking skills and argumentation.
· Video 1. Remark, rationale and course syllabi
2. Science Learning towards 21st Century Skills
· Video 2. 21st Century Skills part 1: Main concept and 4 aspects of 21st Century Skills.
· Video 3. 21st Century Skills part 2: Challenge on Teaching-Learning Science at School to Create 21st Century Skills and Strategies, Media, or Effort to be considered to Bring Student towards 21st Century Skills.
· Video 4. 21st Century Skills part 3: Model of Science Learning towards 21st Century Skills.
3. STEM based Learning on Science Education
· Video 5. STEM part 1: STEM Movement, Main Concept, Nature and Goal of STEM Education.
· Video 6. STEM part 2: Stem Education and 21st Century Skills, STEM Literacy.
· Video 7. STEM part 3: Science and Engineering Design Process.
· Video 8. STEM part 4: Type of Integration STEM on Science Learning (The Process of STEM Project Based Learning).
4. Assesment on 21st Century Skills
· Video 9. Assesment on 21st Century Skills part 1: Purposes of Classroom Assesment and Dimension of Assesment Innovation.
· Video 10. Assesment on 21st Century Skills part 2: Assesment Focused on 21st Century Skills.
· Video 11. Assesment on 21st Century Skills part 3: Performance and/ or Authentic Assesment.
· Video 12. Assesment on 21st Century Skills part 4: Electronic Assesment and Option Assesment for measuring 21st Century Skills.
5. Classroom Activity
· Video 13. Classroom Activity on 5th Grade
· Video 14. Classroom Activity on 8th Grade